Posted to comp.robotics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Daniel Rudy Daniel Rudy is offline

Default Help identifying motor leads.

At about the time of 10/16/2008 4:41 PM, Dave Plowman (News) stated the
following:
In article ,
Daniel Rudy wrote:
I have some additional information. The black and white wires are
connected to brushes. The DC resistance between the two is about 2.7
ohms. The red and yellow wires have a DC resistance of 7.3 ohms. So I
guess they can be wires either series or parallel. What I don't
understand is if the red and yellow wires are for the field, then why
bring them out? Why not just connect them internally?

Think the way they are connected - series or parallel - makes a difference
to the motor characteristics. Also separate access to the field can make
speed control easier.

Sorry, but I'm not up on that theory. How can the field make speed
control easier? For DC motors, I usually use a PWM scheme for speed
control.

--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been base64 encoded to reduce spam
Decode email address using b64decode or uudecode -m