Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
jdrum00 jdrum00 is offline

Default Attractive glue for wood-to-glass?

So, what would y'all use to fasten clear glass to turned wood? I'm
wanting to replace a broken wine glass stem with a turned base, and
realized that whatever I use to stick the two together will be visible
through the bottom of the glass!

I'm thinking Gorilla Glue is right out; it looks like a dead slug when
it's finished expanding and curing. Are there any epoxies that come in
black? Clear would be perfect, of course, but might be a bit much to
ask in something that'll stick to both wood and glass.

Getting back to specifics, there's only a tiny point of stem left
attached to the bowl of the wine glass, so I can't send the glass stem
down a hole in the new wooden stem; if I could, there'd be plenty of
glue surface without worrying about how the glue looks.

So my plan is to flare the stem at the top to meet the bottom of the
bowl, and let the center of the stem be a bit hollowed so there's a
little chamber where the glue can grip both the wood and the glass.

It's a cheap wine glass, actually, so it's not a huge deal; I was just
thinking it would be a fun little project. And make my mom's friend
who broke the glass not feel as bad.

Thanks in advance; any ideas are welcome! I don't think I've ever
posted here before, but I love dipping in now and then to see what's
going on.