Posted to uk.d-i-y
Walt[_2_] Walt[_2_] is offline

Default Fitting a stable door - can I simply chop a normal door and fit it?

bp wrote in news:09f49742-cc41-439b-96e9-b00e1efce8f6
@h60g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Hi

I want to fit a stable door internally in the dining room (accessed
from the kitchen), and I have a few questions.

1)Are there any regualtion for fitting these - I have never seen one
internally, but am hoping its OK to fit one internally.

2) Can I just buy a solid wooden door (I have seen a pine one in the
local DIY stores fo £25) and chop it down the middle.
This is what I am thinking: Chop the door down the middle and sand/
finish edges. Use 4 hinges (2 per half). and provide some kind of
bolt to join the doors together if I ever wanted that. To ensure the
2 halfs line up, I was going to attach the whole door to the frame
using 4 hinges first, Once the door is fixed correctly, then I would
chop it.
Only thing I am not sure is can you chop such a door. Will it still
stay together or will i be cutting along some main structural part of
the door.

Many thanks for any help

Bhupesh

I have done exactly that. It worked perfectly.

Someone mentioned fitting a small shelf to the lower half - did that too
and it was very useful.

Walt