Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a stable door - can I simply chop a normal door and fitit?

On Oct 9, 5:39*pm, bp wrote:
Hi

I want to fit a stable door internally in the dining room (accessed
from the kitchen), and I have a few questions.

1)Are there any regualtion for fitting these - I have never seen one
internally, but *am hoping *its OK to fit one internally.

it is

2) Can I just buy a solid wooden door (I have seen a pine one in the
local DIY stores fo £25) and chop it down the middle.

yes if you cut it along the middle of a structural / framing
crosspiece. So some doors yes, some no. Exterior doors have thicker
centre crosspieces, which would give a more symmetrical look post-cut.

This is what I am thinking: Chop the door down the middle and sand/

i assume you mean across rather than down?

finish edges.

plane

*Use 4 hinges (2 per half). and provide some kind of
bolt to join the doors together if I ever wanted that. *To ensure the
2 halfs line up, I was going to attach the whole door to the frame
using 4 hinges first, *Once the door is fixed correctly, then I would
chop it.

you need the door lying down. Usea sawboard with the circular saw -
dont even think about doing it with a jigsaw.

Only thing I am not sure is can you chop such a door. Will it still
stay together or will i be cutting along some main structural part of
the door.

yes and yes. Decent interior doors are a frame with thin infill
panels. The frame gives the strength, so you're cutting one figure of
8 frame into 2 rectangular frames. Hollow sapele doors are another
matter, I wouldnt bother trying to cut those in 2.

Many thanks for any help

Bhupesh

NT