Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default OT Vets and anti-biotics?

"Tim Downie" wrote in message

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
We took a dog to a vet on Sunday for him to check out what turned out to
be a much more serious wound than it at first appeared and paid a bill of
£150.

We were given anti-biotics, but not a full course and asked to return the
animal mid week for another check up.

My understanding of anti-biotics is that if a course is started, the full
course should always be given. It seems a little odd therefore, not to
provide a full course on the first visit. Is this normal procedure or
just a method to ensure our return by giving these in small batches?

Vets are private practitioners, they can charge what they like. There is
no such thing as a magic "full course", or at least, such a thing who's
efficacy has been proven by scientific trial.

I wouldn't pay £150 quid for a consultation and some antibiotics. I'd look
for a vet in a less affluent area.

Sunday would be charged as an emergency visit and would I assume that a
serious wound would include treatment in addition to the antibiotics.

Colin Bignell