Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Finding studs

AZ Nomad posted for all of us...

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 12:19:29 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 09:25:36 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 09:14:25 -0400, Blattus Slafaly wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:21:38 -0400, Claude Hopper wrote:
You could probably use an infrared camera and a heat gun. Heat the wall
and then look at it with the camera. The drywall that is against studs
will change temperature more slowly; heat up slower, cool down slower
thus allowing you to see where the studs are.

Have you actually tried it? I really hate it when people give advice that is
merely pulled out of their ass.

They can tell if you are using grow lamps to grow marijuana in your
basement by the infrared glow of your basement walls.

Cite?

Here's one with video
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/16297210/detail.html

Thanks. Next question would be how the **** it relates to finding
studs.

Does anybody, anywhere, use IR for studfinding?

Well firefighters use it to find hot spots... I was thinking of this when the
idjit suggested it. Replace a heck of a lot of drywall for the bux they cost.
But I like your next comment the best.

Using a heatgun is too slow anyway. A flame thrower is the way to go.

Don't know what part of the world you're in, but I see marijuana busts
using infrared [both indoors and out because the plants themselves
have a unique 'signature'] on the news a couple times a month.

They usually go by existance of a utility bill that is five times higher
that normal.

That's just *so* 1900's.g

Jim

--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.