Posted to alt.home.repair
Artful Dodger[_3_] Artful Dodger[_3_] is offline

Default Loose front door knob

On Oct 14, 6:17*pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
Artful Dodger wrote:
That's what I was thinking of doing. *But I posted on this NG to
ascertain whether there is any downside to the procedure. *Anything
you or other NG members can think of?

The biggest downside of putting it back together with epoxy glue is
that you'll never be able to take it apart again.

Yeah...but I don't visualize any scenario where I would have to
take it apart.... I just want the damn thing to stay in place!

If the set screw just keeps coming loose, use some LockTite. It's
basically glue that works well enough to keep the screw from turning on
its own, but poorly enough to let go when you lean on it with a
screwdriver.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Hi, Steve - the problem isn't the set screw. It's the shaft that
fits -- or should fit -- into the female "receptable". See above
several
suggestions, including an intriguing one: "Wrap the shaft with
aluminum foil then screw the knob on. "
I'll try it & report back to the NG.

But thanks for tip abvout LockTite, which might work on OTHER
doorknobs in my house,
most of which have Knob Alzheimer's g