Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default OT Vets and anti-biotics?

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
We took a dog to a vet on Sunday for him to check out what turned out to
be a much more serious wound than it at first appeared and paid a bill of
£150.

We were given anti-biotics, but not a full course and asked to return the
animal mid week for another check up.

My understanding of anti-biotics is that if a course is started, the full
course should always be given. It seems a little odd therefore, not to
provide a full course on the first visit. Is this normal procedure or just
a method to ensure our return by giving these in small batches?

I've never had that. There are two possibilities that I can think of. The
simplest is that they gave you all they had in stock. The second is that the
vet was not entirely sure of the best antibiotic for the condition - the
modern approach is to give targeted antibiotics, rather than broad-band -
and wanted to see whether the ones given were effective before continuing.

Colin Bignell