Posted to alt.home.repair
Brent Bolin Brent Bolin is offline

Default Help with Kenmore refrigerator

On Oct 15, 10:54*am, Brent Bolin wrote:
On Oct 15, 10:10*am, wrote:

On Oct 15, 11:06*am, Brent Bolin wrote:

The water dispenser stopped working the other day. *Not sure if ice
cubes also stopped being produced.
Then magically started working again. *This happened about 4 or 5
years ago. *Recall it being expensive to repair($400.00).

The refrigerator is about 10 years old.

I seem to recall something about an evaporated heater, but not sure.

It really is not wise to have another service call on it, as it's not
worth it.

Does anybody have any ideas about diagnosing the issue? *Started
working again, but have the feeling it will come back.

Kenmore side by side -
M/N 596.50392001
Manufacture P50392000W0

I think the unit is actually made by Maytag.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks. *btb

Follow the water. * The water line comes in and goes to a solenoid
valve that is wired to a switch in the door that opens it. * There may
also be an inline filter. *The solenoid valve is likely visible from
the back with a panel removed. * If you go to any of the online
appliance parts stores and put in your make/model, they usually have
good blow out drawings that show how it's put together, where parts
are located, etc

Thanks for your quick reply. *I don't recall anything related to
solenoid when the repair was done. *That's something I would have
remembered. *True It might be unrelated.

Blows my mind that things manufactured in the 60 and 70's would last
for ever. Solid state things..no moving parts etc... Service calls
on things like this make fixable prohibitive.