Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default eyeglass-lens falls out (even with bolt); for safety, epoxy?

"David Combs" wrote in message
My lenses will fall out of my frames.

This is even when there's an actual BOLT (with nut) being used.

(This latest time: nut has somehow unscrewed from bolt (and
disappeared) and of course the frame springs apart and
lens drops out.)

SAFETY ISSUE: should this happen when driving in heavy,
fast traffic, one could end up dead, especially with the
instant mix of one eye seeing and the other totally blurred
can screw up the brain mechanisms for "seeing" -- at least
for me.

So, suppose you used epoxy or some of that "instant"-glue to
avoid this happening; *where* (and how) would you apply
the stuff?

Around the bolt and especially the nut?

Along the inside of the rim?

Now, when and if your eyes have changed and you need
a new prescription, how to UN-glue the lens?

Is there some kind of a solvent that would work?

How about a Dremel tool?

Thanks!

David

As I see it, you have two options. One, spend a few bucks (or it may be
free where you got the glasses) and get them fixed properly. Two, putz
around with them, and have them fall apart on the I-5 and get killed, and
your worries will be over.

Oh, I forgot about three. Put super glue and loctite and all the improper
screws and nuts on them and render them useless.

Steve