Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Center gauge

On Oct 14, 9:49*pm, "Phil Kangas" wrote:
"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
When you're doing a one-off, you are gauging. *By the only

thing that
matters, the mating part.

Pete Keillor

Interesting.....so what do you guys prefer to do when making
a one-off set of *m/f threads? Do you make the nut first or
last?
phil

IIRC the male thread first, fitted it to 3-wire measurement, then used
it as a gauge for the internal threads. Usually I try to design so the
nut can be bought or tapped and the male part is all custom, such as
the axle example I gave above. Much depends on how easy it is to
measure or try the fit. A shaft held between centers can be removed,
checked and replaced while a part in a chuck has to stay there until
done, unless it fits a small 5C chuck.