Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Center gauge

On 2008-10-15, Phil Kangas wrote:

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
When you're doing a one-off, you are gauging. By the only

thing that
matters, the mating part.

Pete Keillor

Interesting.....so what do you guys prefer to do when making
a one-off set of m/f threads? Do you make the nut first or
last?

Depends on the relative sizes. If the male thread is on the
larger part, I might make the female first, so I could bring it to the
male to test as I approached size. In the case which I described
somewhere up-thread, I had put male threads on both inches of an
aluminum cylinder of about 4" OD, and then turned white Delrin rings and
internally threaded them to fit the ends of the cylinder. Both ends (of
four cylinders) were threaded to the same depth, so either end could be
used to test the rings. The only difference in the cylinders was slight
changes in length to tune for the frequency of the wireless
transmitter/receiver on different channels, and a corresponding shift of
the location of the connector and radiating antenna which went in the
sides.

If the cylinders had been heavier, I would have made the rings
first (or perhaps a master ring of steel) and then turned the threads
on the ends to fit, and turned the actual Delrin rings to fit a male
master thread.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564