Posted to alt.home.repair
T. McQuinn T. McQuinn is offline

Default Plate Compactors

Paul Franklin wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:34:37 -0400, "T. McQuinn"
wrote:

Paul Franklin wrote:

With the PC it's easier to get a smooth and level surface. The JJ
tends to leave dents the size of its head. But given the extra heavy
work required to use the PC, I'd probably give the JJ a go. It will be
a lot easier to maneuver on the upper courses. After you've got
everything solid, spread a little extra sharp sand on top and screed
it with a long 2by to fill in any low spots. Regardless of which way
you go, wet down the material before you compact it. Provides a
little lubricant so the material compacts better.

HTH,

Paul F.

Thanks. I will look for some extra sharp sand try to post a follow up.
Will wet the material too!

I worded that poorly. I meant spread some extra sand and use sharp
sand (mason's sand, not play sand). Generally you want 1/2 an inch to
an inch of sand on top of the base material. It's a lot easier to get
the block positioned even and level with a little sand on top of the
compacted base.

Good luck,

Paul F.

I went with the plate compactor instead of the jumping jack. I have a
Spitzlift that attaches to my old Ford Explorer (sort of a mini crane
with a crank) that I am using to position the plate compactor. Today
was just a test run on the base rock. Tomorrow will be the real thing.
It's not what I would call a fun machine to use but the rock sure seems
a lot more solid after a couple of passes.