Posted to alt.home.repair
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Paint with what?

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:19:59 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

I got some Behr high-gloss latex enamel with which to paint some trim.

Using a Peavy brush, roller, or foam applicator all yield god-awful results.
Specifically, in the case of the two brushes, the paint looks like it was
applied with a fork. Using a roller, the result looks like an alligator
hide.

The application was on top of a Behr primer.

Any ideas on how to use this paint to yield an acceptable finish?

Thanks.

------
Failing expert advice, I'm gonna take a bit of trim with the aforementioned
application techniques back to the paint store and accuse them of selling an
anti-barnacle, boat-bottom treatment instead of paint.

I haven't used that brand, but have seen similar difficulty both by
applying high-gloss myself and when a contractor
used high gloss paint. IF it is decent paint, thinning it should
improve flow and leveling. Penetrol is good
stuff that I have used to thin semi-gloss to use in a sprayer. Alkyd
paint can be thinned by adding up to
10% Penetrol. Flood.com has like product for latex paint called
"Floetrol". Check it out, he
http://www.flood.com/flood/Products/

I assume you are painting interior woodwork? I would never again use
latex for interior trim - it is too
easy to damage and stain and very tough to sand when it is time to
recoat. Some paint mfgs. also
recommend alkyd for interior trim.

Good 3rd gen latex is as durable, if not more durable, than Alkyd.
Doesn't stink and is easy to clean up. But you NEED to use the right
brush.