Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help with drywall texturing

I've been running into a fair number of drywall patching jobs lately
that involve small patches to existing walls. While I'm actually very
good at creating good, smooth, even seamless patches, one thing I don't
know how to do is to match wall textures.

Now, I'm not a professional drwyall hanger, never have been, and don't
want to be. I'm not about to invest in a lot of equipment. But I would
like to have a few common textures in my bag of tricks, so that I could
at least come close to matching the existing texture after completing a
patch.

The textures I see vary from the canonical "skip-troweled" texture to a
sort of blobby flattened oatmeal to a kind of rough old-fashioned
plaster look (on wallboard, not lath and plaster).

Any help here would be much appreciated, preferably using standard tools
and joint compound.

- Paulo Freire