Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default how clean does a concrete floor need to be?

On Oct 14, 8:16*am, KLS wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:53:12 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

On Oct 13, 6:17*pm, KLS wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 07:25:03 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

...to put down tile?

This doesn't apply to you as you've gone past the point of no return:
I just wanted to post my wonderful, albeit ugly, experience with those
great big 24x24 soft foam interlocking pieces that are supposed to be
used for kids. *A neighbor was throwing out a set, and I rescued them
and put them on my laundry room floor. *Joy! *A soft comfortable floor
surface to stand on that's not slippery and doesn't care about water!

Actually i've seen those at Harbor Freight and thought about picking
some up. *I wouldn't say "point of no return" - the nasty old tile
needed to go anyway. *I now have a nice-ish bare concrete floor, which
is way better than what I started with, or I can go all out and cover
it with something if I choose to make more work for myself.

Then you should get a set. *It's easy to sweep up stuff off of these
things. *I haven't tried wet mopping yet as I haven't had any wet
messes to clean up, but I'm pleased with how much better these things
make life down in the basement laundry room. *Amazing what a
difference standing on these is from standing on concrete (mine are on
a somewhat uneven concrete floor, too, and they're very forgiving of
the less-than-perfect surface). *Wonder what color the HF ones are.
Ours are the primary colors: *red, yellow, blue, plus green. *Pretty!

HF's were dark grey, and they were sold as work mats for standing in
front of a workbench/machine tool/ whatever. Only thing I wonder
about those is the suitability of using them close to gas fired
appliances. They were also fairly thick IIRC, so I guess I would
probably just lay them down in the middle of the room almost like a
rug, and not try to go under the sink, washer, dryer, etc.

nate