Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
ian field[_2_] ian field[_2_] is offline

Default TV with short circuit - how do I find the short?

"Ken Fowler" wrote in message

On 13-Oct-2008, "Steve Ashman" wrote:

Thanks for the advice, but I think I have made an informed decision to
cease
work on this TV as too many people have told me on the group and in real
life that I am more than likely to end up touching something that could
kill
me. The set does not have a mechanical on off switch, but the fuse blows
as
soon as the TV is plugged in, before the standby switch is pressed. As I

said, I am most likely discontinuing work on this TV. I found a similar
one
in working condition for 25 dollars on craigslist. Thanks again.

In all the responses to this posting, the one thing I believe no one has
mentioned is the need to obtain a schematic and servicing information for
the TV. Without the schematic, you are flying blind. Some of us could
make a start at trouble shooting a shorted power supply by a visual check
of the components on the various circuit boards and making resistance
checks on the obvious power rails. Sometimes wisdom comes from experience
and the wisdom helps to identify dangers. But there is usually no
substitute for a schematic if the damage is not visible.

Good luck and stay safe.

Ken Fowler, KO6NO

These days the turnover of new designs is so rapid for TVs & monitors etc
that each new model is only in production for a few months before the next
one comes along, by the time it wears out the manufacturer might as well
have forgotten it ever existed! Very few manufacturers even bother to reply
to requests for service information, the few that do will refer you to
distributors - most of which only deal with trade.

The OP said he found something similar in GWO for $25 - unless you know
where to look a schematic can easily cost that much and may even turn out to
be a very fuzzy scan of a creased and stained original.