Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Ultra thin screwdriver

Richard Edwards wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:42:20 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

I am looking for a flat screwdriver with an exceptionally thin blade,
for use on clock mechanisms. The blade needs to be at least 3/16" long,
but no more than 25/1000" thick. Does anyone know of a source for such a
screwdriver? UK sources are preferred, if anyone knows of them.

I know I can try grinding my own, but I'm not convinced I can do it neatly.

Follow-ups set to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Many thanks,

Chris Tidy

When you say 3/16 long I assume that you mean 3/16 a wide tip.
Take a 3/16 dia screwdriver. Slide an appropriate drill stop onto
blade. With your off hand grinder "off", Put the blade to the wheel
with the tip near tangential and the shank resting againstthe tool
rest. Tighten the drill stopjust resting under the tool rest.
Run the grinder and grind each side of the tip until .025 or less
achieved. Now grind or stone the tip face until .025 or to fit screw.

I can't quite get my head around what you're doing here. How can you
have the screwdriver tip tangential to the grinding wheel, and the shank
resting on the toolrest? Surely the two positions are 90 degrees apart?

Best wishes,

Chris