Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
P D Fritz P D Fritz is offline

Default Ultra thin screwdriver

..
"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
| Hi folks,
|
| I am looking for a flat screwdriver with an exceptionally thin blade,
| for use on clock mechanisms. The blade needs to be at least 3/16" long,
| but no more than 25/1000" thick. Does anyone know of a source for such a
| screwdriver? UK sources are preferred, if anyone knows of them.
|
| I know I can try grinding my own, but I'm not convinced I can do it
neatly.

| Follow-ups set to rec.crafts.metalworking.
|
| Many thanks,
|
| Chris Tidy

You should be able to make one easily. A 25/1000" (.025") blade thickness is
even thicker that some jewelers screwdrivers available commercially. Get a
3/16" or wider round or square tool steel rod and carefully mill or grind
the end to form the required thickness blade. Another way is to buy 3/16"
flat bladed screwdriver at Home Depot or wherever, and just grind or file
the blade to achieve the thickness you wanted.