Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Fancy a screw?

Tim S wrote:

So whats the best general purpose screw these days? I have two principal
uses:

Screw to wood and screw to masonary walls with plugs.

Quicksilver twinthread

I used to buy these exclusively. Recently I have tried some of the
Turbogold as well. These are better closer to the edge of timber if not
piloting, and they start very easily (the quicksilver also start pretty
easily compared to traditional screws).

Should I just go with the screws I know and love, or are these new products
really better? I don't mind being old fashioned and drilling pilot holes
and countersinking.

The classic woodscrew is really dead and gone IMHO. The modern screws
are easier to drive, work well in modern plugs, cut a proper thread (old
style screws partly destroy their own thread due to the taper).

If you want two bits to really "pull in" then either drill a clearance
hole on the top one, or just self countersink *deep* into the top with
plenty of brute force and ignorance.

--
Cheers,

John.