Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Fancy a screw?

In article
,
writes
On 13 Oct, 22:45, fred wrote:

For 4x2 framing I was doing recently I used Screwfix's 5x80 Screw-Tite
offerings, very easy to drive and only half the shank is threaded so it
pulled in any unintentional gaps in the work. I think it might have been
you that recommended them after using them on decking. I'll definitely
be looking for excuses to use them in the future.

After running out of the Screw-Tites I tried some Turbogolds but the
fancy self cutting shank features were actually a disadvantage as it was
really sapping the juice out of my budget tool batteries at a rate if
knots, made me rethink the fancy screw philosophy when driving big
sizes.

I found the Screw-tite ones rubbish - stripped the heads really easily
(even with nice shiny new DeWalt PZ2 tips) and quite a lot of the
screws weren't perfectly straight.

Bought Deck-Tite screws instead and they were brilliant. (But about
4x the price).

How strange, I must have used 300 in that framing build and I thought
they were great. I used DeWalt Pz2 tips too after some hardened tips I
was using started to break. Don't think I had a single head strip, they
were a joy to use compared with the torque required on the larger
Turbogolds.
--
fred