Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Glass like replacement?

ng_reader wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
m...
ng_reader wrote:

Hi,

Over the years I have acquired fancy furniture that has this form fitting
glass surface. This 1/4" glass presents a tremendously hard and useful
surface.

But brittle.

I've made a few inquiries and local mirror shops seem to be the
established businesses fabricating exact replacements.

But, always one to save a nickel, is there something out there that is
"DIY", "do-it-yourself"?

Maybe a very high quality thick plastic that you can cut with special
tools... ?

Plexiglass. Tricky to cut, but doable. Grind and buff edges.

I think I did do that once, with pretty bad results. Lexan, maybe over
Plexi. But still, I think the poster that said glass is still cheaper, and I
know it's better. so

Back to the drawing board.

There is a special scratch resistant version of Lexan that would
probably be the only viable replacement for the glass, though at
probably 4X the cost. You wouldn't put it over Plexi either, you'd just
get the 1/4" (or 6mm) version. You'd have to get it at a real plastics
supplier, not a big box store.