Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default RCA TV model 20541, chassis CTC203J2 with Excessive Reg B+

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:13:23 GMT, (Brad) put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I didn't locate the source of the problem (see below) after testing many
parts, but I used a "patch", after the owner gave permission, to restore the
proper B+, which I assume is +130V (HV now around 25KV). Note: I do
not have SM.

"Patch" to Restore Reg B+ to 130V:

880K (resistors combo) across R14115, 143K.

I would have measured the values of the three resistors (R14115,
R14116, R14126) and computed the expected B+ voltages in run and
standby modes. The junction of the potential divider would be at 2.50V
in all modes, and R14126 would be switched out of circuit in run mode.

AFAICS, a clue as to what is happening would be in whether or not the
B+ rail drops when switching from standby to run mode. If not, then
one or the other of the +16Vs or +13Vr transistors could be faulty.

It seems to me that if one of the components is marginal, then your
kluge may come back to bite you if that component deteriorates
further.

- Franc Zabkar