Posted to rec.woodworking
Renata Renata is offline

Default Try, try again - floor poly questions (or, to gloss, or not to gloss)

Posted a question here a couple weeks ago or so regarding floor poly.

Given some excellent advice here, I thought I was finished after
laying down the "final" coat, resorting to a satin finish (over the
previous coats of problematic semi gloss). Except that I don't like
the way satin looks in the kitchen. It's a very matte finish.
Doesn't make the walnut "pop".

So, I want to lay the final-final coat, either in semi gloss, or
straight up gloss.

What are the pros and cons (in a kitchen, particularly) of these 2
finishes. I already have found that semi gloss is a pain to get to
look right, being mighty picky about overlaps when laying it down and
showing any little speck that may have found it's way into the finish
while it was drying.

I'm interested in both application differences and stuff like wear,
appearance, etc. plus any thing that might be of particular note for a
kitchen. And, any tricks that might be useful.

Way back when, having sanded nearly an 1/8" off an existing oak floor
('nother house), applying the finish was problem free and fast (using
the l-w pads).

Also, I'm finding that using the lamb's wool pad is making it very
difficult to lay down the manufacturer recommended amount - 800-900
sq ft/gallon and I'm getting about ~500sq ft/gal. I'm pouring a
stream of finish in a line down the floor then coming at it with the
pad. But, I"m thinking maybe I ought go round up one of those T-Bars
that was recommended here. Agree? Or is there a way to correct this
using the pads?

Thanx
Renata