Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn jo4hn is offline

Default Bowsaw frame

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Dr. Deb" wrote:

The spreader bar is connected to the uprights of the frame with
a "NON-GLUED" mortise and tenon joint. The whole thing is held
together
with the tensioning string/rope/wire.

A question:

As a kid, my dad described a one man saw with a frame and a 24"-30"
long blade as a "Buck Saw", used primarily used with a cross buck to
cut up brush from fallen trees.

Had a turn buckle arrangement inside the frame to tension the blade.

Is that the same as what you are describing as a "bowsaw"?

Lew

That sounds like a bowsaw. I have what my dad and uncles called a "one
man" or a "crosscut" hanging on the wall of the shop. The blade is 40"
long and looks like this one:
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...oducts_id/3604
except that mine has only one handle.

I also have an ancient bowsaw or "buck saw" as you describe. These were
early variants on what we today call a chain saw. :-)

mahalo,
jo4hn