Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default One oil for all engines

Jon Anderson wrote:

Back in the day when I drove v8 beaters, I used heavier oils to keep the pressure up.

My old Willys truck had a very very well worn Buick 350
(came that way, I sure didn't do the swap...). I ran
straight 50w and it still clattered, though not as bad as
with 40w.

I remember bringing my siblings home on from visiting their dad when I was on the way from
MCAS Beaufort to visit my mom and grandparents in another state. Poor engine was really
sick, oil pressure went to zero at stop signs so I either put it in neutral or blipped the
throttle with my foot firmly on brake (auto tranny). Engine never made noises but seeing
0 on the gage at low rpm sure was disturbing.

Castrol 20W50 got it back to from Michigan to S.C. where I rebuilt the engine the next
week. I'd have put gear lube in it to get back to base.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller