Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fancy a screw?

On Oct 13, 8:41*pm, Tim S wrote:
I do, couple of thousand in fact.

Assuming that got past your SPAM filter...

When I were a lad, we had phillips and slotted, brass and steel, round
heads, countersunk and the old one inbetween in between.

Went to Screwfix with the intent of buying a couple of mega packs of general
purpose woodscrews...

Turbogold, goldscrew, spax, quicksilver...

Ow... I feel like someone just dug me out the ground (I'm 40).

So whats the best general purpose screw these days? I have two principal
uses:

Screw to wood and screw to masonary walls with plugs.

Should I just go with the screws I know and love, or are these new products
really better? I don't mind being old fashioned and drilling pilot holes
and countersinking.

Cheers

Tim

Any of their coarse thread screws are fine for general timber &
masonry-with-plug fixing - even the ones not designed for wood at all
(self tappers). So if all you want is as said, the cheapest are
variously quicksilver, drywall, twinthread, goldscrew and some marked
as chipboard screws.

Drywall screws haven't been mentioned yet, but have some advantages.
They're on the thin side, reducing risk of splits and cordless tool
energy use, and making piloless screwing more often realistic. Theyre
often black phosphate coated, which gives much better rust resistance
than bzp. And theyre some of the cheapest too.

But whatever you go for you're not gonna go wrong really - unless you
choose slotted head.

Oh, buying packs individually is cheaper than getting their selection
packs, and you can pick your own container then, so it matches other
similar boxes.

Other screw types give advantages but only for specific apps, so if
you want to enlarge your stock I'd look at those once you're stocked
up with basic coarse thread screws in all the main sizes first.

Oh...
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Screws

NT