Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Fancy a screw?

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes

I use either Turbogold or Quicksilver.

Turbogold are wonderful! No pilot, go in right up to edges without
splitting, self countersink, fast to drive, sharp point so easy to start.
Great product.

Only disadvantages - not good at pulling together two pieces of wood with a
gap, most sizes are threaded for all their length - you need to hold the
pieces together firmly, and they chew up plastic plugs IMO.

For 4x2 framing I was doing recently I used Screwfix's 5x80 Screw-Tite
offerings, very easy to drive and only half the shank is threaded so it
pulled in any unintentional gaps in the work. I think it might have been
you that recommended them after using them on decking. I'll definitely
be looking for excuses to use them in the future.

After running out of the Screw-Tites I tried some Turbogolds but the
fancy self cutting shank features were actually a disadvantage as it was
really sapping the juice out of my budget tool batteries at a rate if
knots, made me rethink the fancy screw philosophy when driving big
sizes.

I use Quicksilver for fixing with plastic plugs - on which subject Rawlplug
'Uno' are brilliant for multi purpose use, plasterboard, block, brick
whatever. I used to carry hollow & solid wall plugs on the van, now I just
carry the 'Uno' plugs.

I'm drifting back to the more traditional cut of the Quicksilver, I
think it works well in the shorter sizes, a 4x25 turbogold is all spike
& no grip for the first 5mm. I definitely agree on Uno's as being a bit
of a breakthrough in PB fixing although I'd go for longer Fischer stuff
into brick.
--
fred