Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Fancy a screw?

coughed up some electrons that declared:

Turbogold and Spax are excellent. No predrilling in softwood required.
Even 6*100mm will go straight in with an impact driver. Most trades
people use them as first choice.

OK - sounds good - I'll pick one at random.

Turboultra are rather fragile, but leav a nice finish if handled
carefully.

I don't quite understand - do you mean the heads look nice and set in the
surface of the material nicely without splintering?

There's a bunch of whatever to masonry fittings now that cut straight
into masonry, no plug required (but you must drill the masonry at the
diameter they specify). Look at the Spax offering and Mulitmonti.

While I don't think I could get my head around not doing it the "old way"
for big heavy things (I'm still brushing the worms off, remember), I might
give these a try for fixing electrical back boxes and pipe clips. I can see
the benefit there and I don't need mentally high strength.

Do they work OK in medium hard brick?

Thanks for that - just the pointer I needed.

Cheers

Tim