Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Charlie Siegrist Charlie Siegrist is offline

Default TV with short circuit - how do I find the short?

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 02:35:03 GMT, "news.verizon.net"
wrote:

A friend of mine gave me an old 27 inch TV that no longer works. Upon
inspection of the insides, I noticed the "5A 125V GMA" fuse was blown. I
purchased a 10 pack of these fuses, and when I replaced it the fuse blew as
soon as the TV was plugged in again. I am assuming that there is a short
circuit on the board somewhere. How would I go about finding the short? Is
it possible the power cable or its connection to the circuit board is
related to this short?

Thanks in advance.

Please don't take this as an unwarranted criticism, or an ad hominum attack. I
want to make some observations.

1) Your description of the TV circuitry as "the insides" suggests a lack of
electrical experience. Hence, you may not be familiar with either the look of
voltage storage components, or the concept of a metal chassis (exposed metal
superstructure) that is not the same potential as the ground you are standing or
leaning on.

2) Your reference to the blown fuse as "the '5A 25oV GMA' fuse" suggests a lack
of knowledge of which circuit the fuse is connected to. Is it the input power,
or is it some other section of the television circuitry? Television circuitry
tends to be very complicated, and dangerous voltages exist at many places inside
the box. Have you ever discharged a CRT's anode? Would you know how to do so,
and would you know how to prevent its recharging while working on the set?

3) Your question, "How would I go about finding the short?" is strong further
evidence in favor of the conjecture that you lack experience with electrical
circuits.

Those observations made, I suggest you rid yourself of this device. Should I be
wrong, and you can convince myself and others that you will not maim yourself in
the pursuit of this adventure, you may get some good troubleshooting answers.
Given that, after three days, you haven't responded to "Arfa Daily" about his
simple question on the nature of the on/off switch (which is an excellent first
step, imo), I'm going to solidify my proposition that you know next to nothing
about electric circuits.

Donate the thing to an appliance recycler. That's your best bet.