Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default time to replace water-heater. Brands, models, quality, etc?

On Oct 12, 8:39*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
Well, water heater's bottom (near pilot light) is getting
rusted out, inner "door" is like a quarter eaten away (is
no longer rectangular), is 15 years old.

(Was looking in home-repair book, described how water heater
works (fairly obvious!), except learned about something
called the "sacrificial anode" -- so I guess that's gone,
no hope for the water heater to last. *Also, drip drip drip.

So, what's out there? * Anything decent available these days?

Thanks!

David

Whats out there, units sold range in efficency from 55-95%, go to
www.energyster.gov and learn. If you want to save energy you must
shop by EF rating, not burner efficency, EF is how many cents on the
dollar go to heat water. Most of what is sold is 55-65EF so 45 -55 %
of your fuel is wasted. There are condensing tank of arounf 80 EF,
there are Tankless which I have of 82-95 EF. Tank water heaters are a
main waste of energy in the US. AO Smith makes the better stuff.