Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Care and feeding of KBC bench mill

On Oct 12, 11:37 pm, Vernon wrote:
But my question is: Provided it's capable of supporting the weight of
the mill (650 lbs.) (it is) is it otherwise suitable? In other words,
should I be worried about vibration or anything like that? The table
is a nice size. It's heavy enough to be sturdy but not so heavy that
we can't load and unload it by hand....
Vernon

At Unitrode we used a shop crane to set up an RF-31 mill/drill on its
stand in a small room. You have to be careful not to let the weight
swing forward of the crane's wheels because once it starts to tip the
unbalance gets worse very fast.

My Clausing mill at home is under a beam. The separated pieces are all
light enough to carry but I still used a block and tackle to assemble
it. The head is too heavy to safely align onto the column with one
hand while the other installs a bolt. I think it would be very
difficult to muscle the mill/drill's head back onto the column, plus
some of the guys would be adding their weight to the table.

Add a couple hundred pounds to the 650 for a rotary table and large
work piece on the mill and the vise sitting beside it. I'd probably
jam some 4x4 supports directly under the mill with a heavy shelf for
the vise etc connecting them. If it vibrates enough to shift you're
doing something very wrong.

Jim Wilkins