Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] alan200@iinet.net.oz is offline

Default One oil for all engines

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 16:07:37 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
It sounds like you have settled the question for everything but your new
pickup. I agree with what others have said--don't risk a new engine worth
thousands to save a couple of bucks per oil change. It may be possible to
blend a light oil with the stuff from your drum, to produce the 5-20 you
need, but:
1.) How much would you save?

Nothing
2.) Could you match both the 5 and the 20 operating points?

I am way out of date since I retired 13 years ago, but then, the
multi viscosity was all due to additives, not base oil. Blending a
light oil in with regular oil will stuff it up. The lowest
viscosity my employer made then was 20/40 but we do not have the low
temperatures as in N America, so did not need a 5/* or 10/* at the
time, it may have changed since due to engine technology improvements.
I use 20/50 in my '95 Camry, the same in my '89 Patrol.
3.) How much research would this take?

About 6 months minimum of lab work making different formulations
and field testing.