Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default worcester bosch 19/24 CBi boiler

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
HI Chaps,

I was woken up this morning by the boiler making a weird sound
which we thought was an airlock, so we made sure the radiators were all
full and the noise seemed to go away...

but I was sat at the computer and heard a tic tic ticking noise, which I
thought was the boiler trying to light and failing of course on closer
inspection he noise was a drip drip dripping, and water was leaking from
the boiler all over the mains incoming to the house which happens to be
below it!!!! Yes I know not clever positioning but this is what we
inherited from the previous owner.

So I've drained the system down to stop the leak

I rang our usual plumber chap who said "your heat exchangers cracked---
you need a new boiler!"

This one is 6 years old and had a problem with the pcb and possibly the
thermal sensors about 4 weeks ago which we thought we'd fixed. (£600
down the drain so to speak (this included a new three port valve))

So my questions a

Is it worth trying to just change the heat exchanger or is the gas valve
pcb and air pressure valve trashed because of the water?

Is replacing this with a vaillant system (or maybe cistern not sure of
what the plumber guy said over the phone)boiler a reasonable move.
apparently it doesn't need a header tank if I understand correctly. I
would be keeping the hot water tank and everything else the same.

I was roughly quoted £2000 for this, is this reasonable?

Is there any chance my house insurance will cough up for the replacement
boiler.

Sorry for asking such basic questions but I know you can be helpful.

dedics

and yes I am thinking of taking an angle grinder to it!

Worcester Bosch charge a flat fee (£200 ish), which includes replacement
of up to 3 major parts (a bit extra if the heat exchanger has gone).
I wouldn't put much faith in your "usual plumber chap"