Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Upgrading electrical circuit breakers to higher amperage

wrote in message
I recently added some new, heavier-duty equipment to my garage
woodshop and am now finding that I'm tripping the breakers more often.
There are two circuits in the garage, both 15 amps. The new tools are
rated as high as 20 amps and trip the breakers under loads (no
surprise there). If I upgrade, should I just take these circuits on up
to 30 amps? Is this as simple as merely installing new breakers, or
will it likely require some rewiring? I don't plan on trying to do
this myself, but I would like to get a feel for what's involved and
how much it might cost. The house was built in 1978. I'll be calling
the electricians this week in any case.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

* You will definitely need to upgrade the wiring to increase the amperage
capacity. I would suggest that you have an electrician install a subpanel
in your shop. This will allow you to easily add more circuits in the future
as you add more equipment. The subpanel topic and garage shop has been
discussed here a lot. Do a Google search of this group to see what has been
said in the past.