Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default time to replace water-heater. Brands, models, quality, etc?

On Oct 12, 9:39*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
Well, water heater's bottom (near pilot light) is getting
rusted out, inner "door" is like a quarter eaten away (is
no longer rectangular), is 15 years old.

(Was looking in home-repair book, described how water heater
works (fairly obvious!), except learned about something
called the "sacrificial anode" -- so I guess that's gone,
no hope for the water heater to last. *Also, drip drip drip.

So, what's out there? * Anything decent available these days?

Thanks!

David

They're all pretty much the same (probably made by the same handful of
companies) unless you go to something real high end with a stainless
steel tank or similar.

Just look for something with a long warranty and/or multiple anodes.
Also I don't know if they still have them or not but I prefer a tank
with a standing pilot - that way if the power goes off you can still
have a hot shower.

Finally I recommend before you even fill the new tank to replace the
drain valve with something a little more robust - I used a dielectric
nipple, a 3/4" ball valve, a 3/4" MPT to male garden hose adapter, and
a brass garden hose cap to make one for mine. Something like this:

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

but made from stuff I had laying around and/or purchased at my local
plumbing store. When we moved into the house, I thought a good thing
to do would be to flush all the water heaters (I have three) - not a
good idea! every single drain valve failed in one fashion or
another. Fortunately I have only had to replace one tank, although of
course that one was the one upstairs in the garage and I didn't
realize it'd failed until water started coming through the ceiling
below. Whoops. New tank has a proper drain pan under it, you betcha.

Which reminds me, it's about time for the annual water heater flush...

nate