Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_2_] Hawke[_2_] is offline

Default One oil for all engines

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Steve Lusardi wrote:
Karl the clearances are much tighter on today's engine. Oil pressure is

the
indicator of "potential" flow, but it's all about flow. If the viscosity

is
too high, flow will be reduced, because when there is enough pressure to
lift the ball from the seat in the regulator, that will represent an

easier
path and pump flow will be directed through the regulator and not the

rest
of the engine. Use the viscosity the factory recommended. They built the
engine, not your son.

I agree with Steve. In the short term you'll probably get away with it.
In the longer term you might not. Not worth the risk in my view.

Best wishes,

Chris

Take the risk! Because there really isn't any. Oil these days is pretty darn
good and it's rare indeed for a motor to fail due to a problem with the oil.
In fact, the problem is almost never the oil but the lack of changing it
regularly enough. If you have a good quality oil it'll work fine with most
engines. That said, I would go with Shell Rotella T Synthetic. It's a 5W40
oil and it's designed specifically for diesel engines but it just happens to
be good for just about everything else too. Diesels have higher requirements
than standard gasoline engines so the oils for them are better in general.
The Rotella T Syn is great stuff. I use it for my motorcycle too. I read a
long and complex article all about oils and aside from going with a full
synthetic oil, which is very expensive, the best thing you can buy is
Rotella T Syn. If I was going to buy a drum of oil that's what I'd buy.

Hawke