Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default IC protectors

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
In poking around in my JVC hall synthesizer ("not that again!"), I
discovered that the voltage regulators have an "IC protector" in front of
them. The ICP-N38 for the 7805 +5V regulator is blown (ie, open). This
might
be the reason the unit is acting funny. (There could be other problems.
I'm
still poking.)

Obviously, I have to check "downstream" and make sure there are no shorts.
But I was wondering whether these protectors ever fail spontaneously.

Thank you.

Indeed they do William. I replace them all the time with no valid reason
found for their untimely demise, and no bounceback a week later.

Arfa