Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Reeves Drive Question

One thing on the power twist link belts - if you have a longer length -
buy two - as they link and unlink by the link length. SO add 7" or 3'.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/

POWER TWIST 1/2" DRIVE BELT/ A
FD40830 POWER TWIST 1/2" DRIVE BELT/ A
$8.95
POWER TWIST 1/2" DRIVE BELT/ A 4'PK
FD04181 POWER TWIST 1/2" DRIVE BELT/ A 4'PK
$34.99
POWER TWIST 3/8" DRIVE BELT
FD04050 POWER TWIST 3/8" DRIVE BELT
$8.95

The FD number will take you to the page but these were in machinery acc.
I use these power twist on my wood and metal lathes.
They were developed for heavy use conveyor belt motors so they stand up
to work.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Bob Daun wrote:
Mac
My Jet 1442 takes a 3/8 inch belt for the Reeves drive. Can you give
me a source for 3/8" link belts.

Bob
"mac davis" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 11:08:47 -0400, "John Gbur" wrote:

I have a question about an older lathe with a Reeves Drive
(J-Line). This
is an older lathe that has not seen use for some time. The manual
says not
to shift it without the motor running. If you take the belts off is
it okay
to shift it then? I want to get the Reeves drive shifting smoothly
before
putting it under power. I am guessing they say not to shift while
not under
power due to the load put on it by shifting it. Thanks!

Everyone else covered the cleaning, etc., just wanted to mention that
it's ok to
change the speed when the lathe isn't running, if you do it GENTLY
while turning
the spindle or pulley by hand..

Also, if you do take the belt off, unless it's brand new (unlikely)
consider
changing to a link belt... Quieter, less vibration and a LOT easier
to change..
YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing