Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Is there a difference between a deep freezer and a refrigerator/freezer?

"stratfordone" wrote in message
Does anyone know if there is actually a temperature difference between
a chest freezer and a freezer found on top of a refrigerator? Also, if
so, is there an advantage to getting a chest freezer over a stand up
freezer? We're looking to add freezer space but trying to determine if
it would be just as good to get another refrigerator/freezer combo.
Any advice would be great...I cant seem to find a clear answer to
this. Thanks!

The temp of the freezer in a refrigerator varies widely, depending on the unit,
usage, house temp, settings, etc. As the house temp drops, the freezer temp
often goes up, since the unit runs less to keep the frig section at the right
temp. Running longer could freeze the frig section. It depends on the design.

Chest freezers lose less "cold" when opened than uprights, but you may have them
opened longer to find something. Modern freezers are way more efficient than old
ones.