Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nick@nowhere.com is offline

Default Exterior Door and Pricing

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:05:13 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I need a little advice on replacing one of our exterior doors.
The door measurement is 31 1/2" x 79" so I'm assuming that the door I
need to order is 32x80? Also the current door is wood, I have another
exterior door which is steel, should I change the wood door to steel
or will the wood door hold up better? I would have to paint it white
so it matches the top one. We have painted the wood door a few times
and it has held up excellent over the past 30 years.

One other question on labor, I'm getting quotes between $500-600 for
the installation which will have to include the removal of the
existing storm door and reinstallation onto the new door as well as
picking the door up from the local supply company. I live just outside
of the Philadelphia area, Home Depot charges $450 for the
installation, is a budget of $300 unreasonable?

*Apparently it is since you haven't got a quote for less than $450.00. Take
a framing square and insert in your door frame. If your house has settled a
bit in the past 30 years that door frame will be a little out of square. It
will take a lot of work to make a new door swing perfectly. It might be
easier with a prehung door, but I am no expert.

Sorry I should have mentioned that I was going with a prehung door.