Posted to alt.home.repair
retired53 retired53 is offline

Default Exterior Door and Pricing

wrote in message
Hello,

I need a little advice on replacing one of our exterior doors.
The door measurement is 31 1/2" x 79" so I'm assuming that the door I
need to order is 32x80? Also the current door is wood, I have another
exterior door which is steel, should I change the wood door to steel
or will the wood door hold up better? I would have to paint it white
so it matches the top one. We have painted the wood door a few times
and it has held up excellent over the past 30 years.

One other question on labor, I'm getting quotes between $500-600 for
the installation which will have to include the removal of the
existing storm door and reinstallation onto the new door as well as
picking the door up from the local supply company. I live just outside
of the Philadelphia area, Home Depot charges $450 for the
installation, is a budget of $300 unreasonable?

Thanks,
Nick

Metal doors are more secure.

Installation price depends on your situation and type of door.

I don't recommend HD install. Yeah, they'll keep coming out as long as you
complain but I think you're better off finding a local door installer to do
it. If you use HD the installer will be irritated because it just means HD
gets part of his money for being a middleman.The installer will cut corners
to make up for the difference. That's what happened to me with my last HD
door install.

olddog