Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Wood splitter

"Steve" wrote in message
Hello,
I am considering buying a McCullugh (called a Woodchuck) electric wood
splitter. It has a 4 ton force and supposedly can split a 20 inch
long piece of wood up to 12 inch diameter. I am thinking of keeping
it in my basement to split pieces of wood down to kindling size when
needed. My question is does anyone on here have one of these
splitters and, if so, what do they think of them??? They sell around
my area for about $230. Made in China, of course........
Thanks,
Steve

I have a Honda 5hp 26 ton splitter. I love it. Yet, still, I need a
kindling splitter like you. I'm thinking of making one out of a maul.
Drill a hole in the end of the handle for a pivot point. Insert bolt so it
will rotate 90 degrees, falling onto a stump on which to sit smaller pieces
of kindling. Starts vertical, ends up horizontal. Then let gravity do its
work. Maybe attach a bungee to add a little oomph. I can make the
framework out of steel tubing, as I weld. Stumps are a dime a dozen around
here.

Or make some kind of sliding device that drops like a guillotine. I think
you could come up with something for less than $230.

Trouble is "It has a 4 ton force and supposedly can split a 20 inch long
piece of wood up to 12 inch diameter". Sounds like you may use this for
your main splitter, and one day overwork it. If you just use it for
kindling and small pieces, it should be okay. But if you're like me, you
tend to push the envelope.

Steve