Posted to alt.radio.digital,sci.electronics.repair,uk.people.consumers,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Whiskers Whiskers is offline

Default new DAB pocket radio story

On 2008-10-12, DAB sounds worse than FM dab.is@dead wrote:
"Whiskers" wrote in message

[...]

but most stations are Mono
and many only get 80kbps and don't seem any the worse for it.

That's both factually wrong and it's plainly idiotic to suggest that
music should be broadcast in mono.

I suppose it's a matter of taste - as is deciding what is or isn't "music".
My statement is factuallu correct; your opinion is differenct from mine,
but opinions are not facts. If a radio station wants more bits per
second, I suppose they are able to bid for them - if they can't pay for
more then their revenue model may not match their pretensions. Which
could be why some of the new stations don't last long. Or the regualtions
about providing more 'bandwidth' are inappropriate (which is my opinion).

I just
don't expect, or even want, a 'concert hall experience' in my
kitchen or
bedroom, or even the living-room, and certainly not in the car.

Who the hell are you to say that just because you don't want something
better than others should be denied it?

Who the hell are you to say that just because you want something different
from what most people are content with, we should all spend more money?

BBC podcasts and streams all seem to be at 64kbps.

BBC music podcasts are now 128 kbps MP3, the BBC's listen again MP3
streams are 128 kbps, 192 kbps (R3) adn 80 kbps for mono stations. The
live streams will start using higher bit rates in the next few weeks.

Why don't you check your facts first?

I did. The last podcast I downloaded is 'Talking Allowed" from last week,
which is very definitely ar 64kbps - I've never seen a BBC podcast at any
other bit rate.

--
-- Whiskers