Posted to alt.radio.digital,sci.electronics.repair,uk.people.consumers,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Ken[_14_] Ken[_14_] is offline

Default new DAB pocket radio story

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:55:00 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I wouldn't be too sure. DAB+ may have a more modern codec etc but
isn't compatible with the present system. I think consumer resistance
will make it a dead duck. There is little demand for high quality
radio - and for those that really want it in the UK they already can
get most of the same stations on FreeView or Satellite.

We would never start using the old DAB in Sweden and Finland,
that's for sure. DAB+ or something more modern is the future.

Easy to be wise with hindsight. I first heard demonstrations of the
present UK DAB system in the '80s, and transmissions started shortly
afterwards. There will always be better technology just round the corner.

Since 1996 we have testing DAB here in Sweden and we don't like it.
The same in Finland. Finland closed down DAB completely.
Old DAB is too inefficient.