Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default End mill sharpening

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
How do you guys sharpen your end mills?

Tool & cutter grinder?
Endmill fixture on a surface grinder?
Dedicated endmill sharpener?

4 days till I go pick up my Bridgeport.

RWL

I did this a number of years ago. I have a couple of fixtures that
make it possible to do
right on the Bridgeport.

BUT ----

I don't do it anymore. I stopped buying HSS endmills, and use some
solid carbide,
some indexable carbide arbors, and M42 Cobalt cutters. These only
cost cents more than plain HSS, and last at least 3-4 X longer.
1/8" solid carbide end mills can be had in packs of 10 or 12 for
about $4 now. (Maybe this has gone up lately, I haven't bought any
since last year.) For heavy stock removal, the indexable carbide
arbors are totally amazing, they shower the room with chips, and you
just rotate the inserts when dull.

Jon