Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default One oil for all engines

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 08:02:43 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I just got a graco drum pump with an oil quart meter. Set the number of
quarts you want. Put it in the fill hole and pull the trigger. You're done.

I want to get a 55 gallon drum of oil for all my engines. the seven
tractors, fork lift, big truck, and lawn mowers can easily use a 10-40 rated
for diesel engine use. Now, my new pickup calls for a very light 5-20 oil.
My son says the V8 engine is still made the same way they've always done it
and a 10-40 will be fine.

Anyone know the story on these very light oil specs? Is this just done for
slightly better fuel mileage? My new pick 'em up truck cost damn near 30K
and I don't want to hurt it.

It's for better fuel mileage because with the thinner oil they could
tighten up the clearances and improve efficiency. I'd use what they
say just to avoid the heartache - engines are not cheap.

Might want to go shopping for a second drum pump and dispensing
meter - One on 10W40 conventional for the implements, and one with
5W20 or 5W30 synthetic for the passenger cars and on-road vehicles.

For the passenger car oil you really don't have to run and spend a
lot of money on another pump /right now/ for occasional use - while
you wait to find a deal you can always go get a drum hand truck that
goes horizontal for dispensing ($250 - but you can use for other
things like {GASP!} moving drums), a drum faucet ($15), and one of
those calibrated 1-quart pitchers ($12 - $15) with a spout to go in
the fill port. (McMaster all.)

-- Bruce --