Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default End mill sharpening

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:32:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I checked around and found a company who advertised "form tool
grinding."
With the advent of CNC I surmised that their business had gone
downhill somewhat.
On the base of them doing somthing that brings in a few bucks VS
sitting on their ass waiting for work, I made an agreement where I
could bring in a bunch of my dull endmills and they would sharpen them
for an average price of $2.00 per cutter, prorated for size and number
of cutting ends.
Engineman

On Oct 11, 8:39?pm, "Buerste" wrote:
GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in messagenews:lcp2f4d6r64b58ldgp8r0fcfcpfdpk71q3@4ax .com...

snip
=============
I am looking for someone to form grind a radius on each side of a
1/4 inch square M2 lathe tool bit to make a involute gear cutter.
The cutters should have radial relief so I can touch up the
cutter by lightly dressing the top.

While a circular arc is not an involute, the approximation is
closer than the approximation you get with the B&S gear cutters
for a range of tooth counts.

Law's book has a table that shows the diameter of the arc, the
C/C distance and the distance from the end of the lathe tool bit
to the centerline connecting the centers of the arcs.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&sear...n%20Law&page=1
http://www.campbelltools.com/workshopseries.htm [and several
other sources in the US]

for table click on