Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cosmic Ray Cosmic Ray is offline

Default OT- Tough Drain Snaking?

"RogerN" wrote in message

As others have suggested, this might have a drum type trap and that may be
where I'm having difficulty getting past. Anyway, I used some rubber
washers and the vent plate to seal off the vent and forced some pressure
into the drain. The drain is working but slow, at least it's useable. I
plan to see what I can do with some chemical (vinegar, bleach, ???) and
hot water. Other than that my only plan is to try to save up $$ to have
the drains pipes replaced with snake friendly traps. Maybe I'll come back
with a question on installing 4" drain pipe in a sink! :-) At least since
it's flowing I can get some chemical down there that's not diluted in
gallons of water.

Any recommended chemical treatments for hair/soap scum clogs?

Thanks!

RogerN

Hot water + caustic soda / sodium hydroxide / lye.

Its a constituent of drain cleaner, it dissolves fat & scum. It's cheap from
grocery store or hardware, be very careful of skin burns and wear eye
protection - it will make you blind.