Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default End mill sharpening

wrote:

On the base of them doing somthing that brings in a few bucks VS
sitting on their ass waiting for work, I made an agreement where I
could bring in a bunch of my dull endmills and they would sharpen them
for an average price of $2.00 per cutter, prorated for size and number
of cutting ends.

That's a good deal. I tried a local guy one time when I was
real busy. He used to work for Robb Jack and I figured he
knew a thing or two. Gave him a bunch to sharpen, including
some large 2 flutes. On those, I told him to sharpen only
the sides and bottoms, no need to regash the centers. Well I
was rather shocked at the bill, and he'd not only regashed
all the big 2 flutes, but had way too much angle on the
bottom of the flutes. He told me he liked to get 50% of the
value of the end mill for sharpening. Since I hadn't asked
for a quote first, I just paid. I never called him back...

Jon